About Our School
Our Mission Statement
St. Thomas Becket School is a multi-cultural Catholic primary school that strives to be a positive force in the life of the church. We aim to create a community that is underpinned by the Gospel values of Christ; where all children have the opportunity to develop spiritually, creatively, physically, socially and academically; where the talents and abilities of all members are valued and where compassion, tolerance and forgiveness are guiding principles.
The school aims to foster and deepen the children’s faith through a genuine partnership between the home, school and parish. Only through this can we hope to:
- Help children develop a sense of self worth and promote a spirit of respect for others and a resolve to help the less fortunate both in the local community and the global community.
- Offer an excellent education that values the whole child and encourages academic aspirations through positive teaching and learning practices while recognising a variety of learning styles.
- Make prayer, worship and liturgy a meaningful experience for our community by helping all to enter into a personal relationship with Christ through personal reflection and response.
- Build links with the extended community as we continue to be ever more inclusive.
- Strive to maintain the highest possible standards of behaviour and help all children to achieve to their full potential.
In promoting the love of Christ and love of our neighbour, we will endeavour to foster good interpersonal relationships between all members of the community. We reject all forms of prejudice and instead seek to include, strengthen and empower all individuals and groups fairly. We hope to promote a concern, and commitment to serving the needs of all within our school community.
St. Thomas Becket is a 2 form entry Catholic Academy, catering for children between the ages of 4 and 11 years. The school was established in 1967 to provide a Catholic education for children and families.
We believe that it is only through a genuine partnership between home, school and parish that we can help our children to realise their true potential. We are very privileged to have a highly dedicated team of staff and governors who are wholeheartedly committed to ensuring our children have the best education available. In support of this the school invests in a quality and targeted CPD programme to ensure staff and governors have the necessary skills to support the vast range of children’s needs that exist in our school.
We are fortunate to be part of a school rich in diversity, talents and gifts.
Our aim is to ensure that our children develop to the very limit of their potential in a community that has the Gospel values, traditions and beliefs of the Catholic Faith at the centre of its ethos. We have a holistic approach to teaching and learning and aim to foster all aspects of children’s development spiritually, creatively, physically, socially and academically.
We have a comprehensive sports programme both in and outside of school hours and utilise the musical expertise of the Croydon Music Service to ensure music tuition is a key facet of the school.
Recently we have taken on the Learning Challenge curriculum which is a theme based approach to delivering the national curriculum, designed to tap into children’s interests and make learning fun.